Sunday, January 3, 2010

Katie & Paul's Excellent Adventure

Day 2: Boston, MA – Roanoke, VA

Nine states, eleven hours

The folks and little Paul

Paul and I in front of a well-packed truck.


Well, today Paul and I set off on our big adventure. I awoke to news of church and preemptive school closings due to snow. We did not let this deter us. We left Boston at 8:30am, expecting to be at our parents’ house by 10am at the latest. Unfortunately, that did not work out very well. We were caught behind four snowplows, neatly staggered, across all four lanes of traffic on the interstate. We followed patiently behind, knowing that the Rhode Island border was not far ahead, and once we reached that, the Massachusetts-owned plows would have to leave the road.

But then we saw them. A line of Rhode Island-owned plows heading our way.

“Oh no!” shrieked Paul as he sped up.

Fortunately, we passed them by about 10 seconds, which made our arrival time to Rhode Island much earlier than expected.

Once at home, we picked up the moving van and no fewer than four fully packed bags of goodies from our mother, father, and Auntie Patty and headed out. Snow was falling. Everything was white. It was beautiful. What a great way to leave New England behind for sunny Los Angeles. If the culture shock wouldn’t be enough upon our arrival, the climate shock will surely knock our socks off!

We drove through nine states all together today. Here’s the count:

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Connecticut (The longest state to drive through by far. My God, it wouldn’t end. I even took a nap to pass the time. When I awoke, we were still in that dreaded state!)

New York

New Jersey

Pennsylvania (We passed through York, PA, where my lovely friend Emily is from)

Maryland

West Virginia

Virginia

We stopped at JMU on our way down to Roanoke. It was amazing to see my old school! So much has changed! So many things have been built! We have a new library and an entire block across from the main campus that wasn’t there before! Unfortunately, we got there two hours past daylight, so we could only see it in darkness, but it was still beautiful.

We stopped at Jess’ Quick Lunch for dinner. Yes, it makes no sense. It’s called “Quick Lunch” not “Quick Dinner.” In my opinion, I am certainly happy that they don’t see the lack of sense this makes!

And now we are in the creepiest hotel room I’ve ever been in ever. In my entire life. We’re at a Super 8 hotel, and for $58, we get two double beds in a room that had a dirty hand towel stuffed behind the door, a side table that has been pushed away from the wall and left askew, a cigarette smell, and moldy shower fixtures. I think tomorrow’s shower will be the quickest in my lifetime. I have a feeling that I will be cleaner by NOT taking one, but I think it would be nice for Paul if he didn’t have to share the cabin of our truck with his stinky sis.

So that’s all for tonight! We’re in safe and sound and despite my ick-factor being pushed to the edge, everything is all right.Our room's moldy shower head


Paul in our very creepy room

No comments:

Post a Comment